Apr 29, 2008

Earth Day 2008


In leu of Earth Day/Earth Week this year we gave Evey a lesson in recycling and how important it is to do our part! Here she is putting a water jug in the recycle bin, but not before she played the jug like a tuba for about 10 minutes.
The next day we attended a local Environmental Expo at a church by our house. It was really fun! They gave us a cloth grocery bag that we filled with lots of info from all the booths like free light bulbs and water measuring tools for your yard, electrical outlet insulators, info on composting and our local food co-op and more! It was great to see other people who are interested in being ecologically responsible come together to hang out! We even got to see new hybrid cars! Evey had fun especially when we got to eat some organic cookies! Yummy! Many people asked us "Which booth did you pick her up at? She's so cute and we want one!" Hee hee!

We're trying to do our part. We've become hardcore recyclers and reduced our garbage use big time. It's amazing how much you can throw in your recycle bin! If you live in Edmond, here's the list. And if you dont' have a recycle bin, your city solid waste company should provide you a free one to use. It's so easy! And Edmond also has a recycle center for items you cannot leave in your recycle bin. It's located off of Boulevard and 1st St that is open from 10-2 on Saturdays and they're always looking for volunteers. Check it out!We've been using cloth grocery bags for over a year now and we love them! We have the coolest ones that fit right in your cart and fit your whole load of lute into 2 bags. Yes, only 2 bags to carry into the house! We've reduced our consumption of icky plastic and paper bags by almost 100%. We even bring in our smaller cloth bags into other stores now too so we never have to use plastic! Sometimes we get funny looks, but that's our opportunity to encourage others to do the same!

Next on the list.... compost pile!

6 comments:

The Johnson's said...

You Go EVEY!!!! YEAH!!

Carrie said...

Just to be a rebel, I didn't recycle on Earth Day. haha

Whole Foods has a odor-containing compost bin for under your sink. If you don't have one nearby, I'm sure you could find one online.

Carrie said...

p.s. We can only recycle 1 & 2 plastics, but we can recycle boxboard and cardboard. It does reduce your trash a LOT!

memykidsteacher said...

Way to go Lindens! I have good bag intentions ... a cloth bag that stays in the vehicle. But then I'll find myself running to the store for X, Y and Z ... and forget the bag!

It's a process. But we're all learning. I do save all of those bags, and reuse for garbage can liners, packing material, etc. But still a drag on the environment.

Hey. We are starting to compost too. I have a bucket next to the sink that's getting ripe. Still have to get my metal can for outside!

Love the Earth. Love the LIndens!

Anonymous said...

I recycle my plastic bags. I can't use the reusable bags as much. We need poop picking up bags and we use a lot with a big dog. I have 2 nice reusable bags for one of the stores but since the move I don't know where they got off to. Tom hates that I have to go back to the car every time to get them and then 2 bags never hold all the groceries anyway. But I try. I really try to recycle paper at work. They make it very easy at work. If I remember I bring to work my old papers to throw in the recycle bins. We live in an apartment building and they don't recycle. Maybe after I finally get everything unpacked and put up I can figure out how to recycle "POP" cans again.


Good job Lindens
Starting early makes it easier. My kids think about it but I just need more room.

Anonymous said...

Evey you make a cute "green" ambassador!! I love those piggy tales.. reminds me of you Onawa.. such a cutie pie.. love grammie