Apr 6, 2007

3 Weeks Old: Finally updating blog!! BIRTH OF EVEY....


Wow, I cannot believe it's already been 3 weeks since Evey entered the world. We've been busy. The first week Rusty was on spring break so it was just the 3 of us with some visits from friends. It was so nice to be home as a family for the first time. The second week we had all of Rusty's family here from all over the U.S. We had a house full to say the least. It was wonderful to see family, then my sister visited for a few days. Everyone thought Evey was gorgeous and loved meeting her. This week we are alone again and its wonderful. We are really trying to get into a schedule for the first time. It's been hard to set one with so much family and chaos around us, so now we're settling into a routine...... or atleast trying.

Since this is the first time I've been back on to post since her birth I thought I'd give you all the full story of the labor and delivery as quickly as I can.......

MARCH 14:
So my water slowly started leaking that Wednesday night March 14, so by 1:30am on the 15th we were on our way to the hospital. We entered through the emergency room doors since it was so late. After filling in some paperwork we were being wheeled upstairs to the 5th floor at Mercy hospital. We were soooooo excited that it was all about to happen!

On the 5th floor is where you are admitted. I had to sign some paperwork again and they put us in a "waiting" room where they tested my fluids to guarentee that it was ambiotic fluid that was coming out.... and it was. The nurse checked all my other vitals and proceeded to insert my IV tube. (oh and I was still only dialted to a 1!) We were in that room for about 1 hour then they moved us up to the "HILTON" as they call it, the 6th floor, Labor and Delivery. It is so nice and remodled. They moved us in to room 661 where Rusty and I settled in. After the nurses checked me out and got me hooked up to all these beeping things, rusty went out and got the rest of our belongings for the stay from the car, then we went to bed for a few hours. (it was already almost 4am by that point) So I maybe got 2 or 3 hours of sleep.

MARCH 15:
In the morning we were awoken by nurses checking my vitals again at 7am and the day began. We had a pretty slow morning. The nurses said I could eat something small now before the real labor began so Rusty got us some food and i ate a begal, but didn't have much of an appetite. About 9 or so my contractions started. They were fairly mild, but by 10am they were getting stronger. We walked the halls, bounced on the labor ball, laid down, walked some more just trying to get my dialted more.... because I was still only dialated to a 1!!! At one point they asked me to lay down so they could take my vitals and watch the baby's heartbeat again (which they had me do every hour) so i laid down and the contractions seemed to taper off in a big way. I was not dialating either so after about an hour they had me go roam the halls again and thats when the contractions got really bad. It was at about 12 or 1pm and I was starting to have a really hard time. We continued to walk for a bit longer til I couldn't stand it any longer so we went back to our room. They had me get back into bed to chart me and baby again and thats when the really hard part began!

Ouch, contractions hurt! All I remeber is sweating a lot, grabbing the bed handrails and rusty's hand REALLY TIGHT and trying my hardest to relax through the contractions. They were getting very close together, like 1 min apart and I was scared. They were starting to hurt worse with every one. I was starting to tighten up my whole body which made them hurt worse, so Rusty had to continue to remind me to breath and relax and it really helped. The breathing really got me through... Rusty was wonderful. So I labored hard for like 3 or more hours until the anestesioligist got there to give me the epidural. My doctor gave us the OK and we were ready! I couldn't wait to get the drugs because I was so tired and hurting by this point. It was about 4:30 or 5pm...

Ok, one of the hardest parts was when anestesioligist was putting in the epidural and I was having hard contractions at the same time and I was losing the rest of my ambiotic fluid at the same time. It was very uncomfortable to say the least! The one good part though is that the epidural didn't hurt AT ALL! It was the easiest part! Once that kicked in I was in heaven! No more pain! I was then able to get some sleep and relax a bit. I know Rusty was releived too since he'd never seen me in pain like that before.

After a few hours I was still not dialating enough so they put petosin in my drip which helped get things moving. By about 9pm I was dialated to a 5... so it was a slow process. I was so thirsty and dehydrated so the nurse gave me some sprite and a cracker which I vometed up directly after.... 2ce! Real pleasant! Even ice chips were making me ill. By around 10 pm I had the shakes. I felt so cold and my body was going into shock. It had now been 24 hours since my water broke, which wasn't good. Some of our friends came up and prayed over us and baby around that time...... we were a bit worried... but still pushing on! I had a fever... thats what the shakes were from.... and baby's heart rate was rising. She was dry in my belly. They didn't want to give up yet, so they proceeded to insert fluids into my uterus to try to help baby out a bit. After doing this, Lori came to talk to me and said she just spoke with our OB and they decided that if we couldn't get the baby's heartrate to come down from the 200 it was currently at in 45 minutes then we'd have to get her out via C-Section. Well we all tried our best. Rusty and I said from the beginning, anything for the baby, so we sat and prayed and called some people to be praying for us and well, my fever didn't decrease nor did baby's heartrate, so, we prepared for C-Section.

Dr. Levine showed up at 12:30 and said that she was just too concered for baby. She checked my dialation one last time and said if I was a good 9 or 10 we'd proceed vaginally, but I was only a 7. So they gave Rusty a new pair of scrubs and they wheeled me down to the OR. Rusty and I were scared.... scared for the baby as her heartrate was so high and everyone was moving so quickly...... we knew something wasn't right, but we trusted our OB.

C-Section:
They had Rusty stay outside the OR until they had preped me. It was just like the movies. Big bright lights, lots of people in scrubs with face masks, lots of white walls and strange looking machines. Oh, before they moved me from my room, the anesthesiologist gave me more drugs to numb me from the chest down and when that set in I could feel NOTHING at all. So they put me on the table and started preping ..... I was in a daze. They said the whole procedure only should take 1 hour or so. After about 15 minutes they let Rusty enter the room and sit by my side. At that point I was feeling really drugged and I had been up for about 24 hours so I was really tired too and was having a really hard time staying awake and alert. I asked Rusty to please just keep talking to me so i could stay awake to hear my baby cry for the first time...... so he did. He talked to me about his school work etc and i would ask him questions..... we were both so nervous it was hard not paying attention to what was going on around us. To me it felt like it went by fast. After feeling a lot of pressure our OB started having a hard time and franticly requested HELP as the baby was a bit stuck..... I remember asking "is the baby ok?" It didn't sound good. Then I guess thats when they pulled her out and there was no cry..... they put her on a table behind us and I couldn't really see but I guess they sucked a bunch of stuff from her lungs and then in about 1 or 2 minutes.... we heard her first cry and it was amazing..... it was surreal..... it was marvelous! After cleaning her up a bit Rusty went over to the table they had her at and they let him hold her and bring her to me..... I was still so drugged out I was having a hard time keeping the old eyes open, but wow...... to see my baby girl for the first time was so wonderful. She was wide awake and alert and calm and beautiful. We were both in shock... wow, our baby was here!


After a few minutes of seeing baby they began to stich me up and thats when I vomited AGAIN then they moved me to my bed and set my baby girl next to me and wheeled us back to our room where we got to examine our baby girl. I got to nurse her for the first time and she lached right on. Our wonderful friends the Roaches were there through the whole ordeal and came to meet baby Linden. (we hadn't yet picked a name)

All in all, it was a crazy few days, but honestly, I wouldn't change a moment of it. It was the most amazing experience of our lives and we feel so blessed to have a perfect little baby girl to thank God for. I know it was a long story, but I had to journal it here on the blog. Thanks to all of you who prayed for us and supported us through the delivery of our baby Eveyanna Chasya Linden!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, thanks for sharing your story, Onawa! what a miraculous thing, giving birth. we're just waiting for when our baby decides to make it's debut now--anytime in the next 4 weeks I guess-! we can't wait! so glad to hear things are going well for you all, we're thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

This is an incredible birth story Onawa! We're so thankful that you and baby are healthy! I went through almost the exact same thing with my 2nd labor and delivery! Seriously, the only difference is that I finally dialated in enough time to deliver naturally. It did get scarry for a while. Did they give you some antibiotics through your iv too? It was so wierd, I did'nt feel feverish or anything and little Catherine's heart rate was skyhigh in the 200's too! I'm just so thankful that we have the tech. these days to do whatever it takes to get our babies here and healthy! You're such a strong woman and that is one blessed baby. I pray you're feeling well and getting rest. Your family is beautiful!

The Johnson's said...

So thankful Evey is here safe and sound! We love you guys! Katrina and Corey