Mar 4, 2008

My kid... she's brilliant!


Ok, so Evey surprised us again this weekend. She's really smart...we knew that, but this weekend she really proved it! Not only is she a full fledged walker after just a week, but now she's signing to us and pointing to parts of her body upon command!

Here's what happened: Last weekend I bought her a "baby's body book" that has pictures of other kids pointing to their ears, eyes, nose etc. We read it a few times and she loved it. Then we went to the Gap on Saturday night and one of the associates there started up a a conversation with Evey. After a few moments the woman asked Evey, "where is your nose?" then Evey touched her nose! Just like that! Rusty and I were both so excited and shocked at the same time! Books ..... got to keep reading those books! Anyhow... we were very proud of our brilliant bean!

We've also been trying to sign with Evey a little more lately to help us all understand each other better. We didn't think she was understanding it because typically whenever we'd sign to her she'd just grin and giggle, but we were wrong. I asked Evey, "do you want more banana?" and she signed back to me for the first time!! MORE!!! I was so excited! Her first sign!

So, this week has been a big one in the life of Evey! Walking, signing... communicating... she's brilliant!

6 comments:

boygirlboy said...

Go, Evey! We taught our kids ASL at an early age and the benefits were amazing! It has helped us communicate so much better, especially with #2, whom was speech delayed.

It can be frustrating when mommy & daddy don't understand us! That look they give us, when we don't seem to quite understand them, is worth a thousand words.

Here's a link helpful to us:
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

boygirlboy said...

BTW, this Tonia (MT), sorry I just assumed you knew! I'm still trying to get in with the whole blogging thing!

Carrie said...

Of COURSE she's brilliant--she's related to ME!!! haha

What a bright little thing she is! Isn't it amazing when things just connect?? It's like their little synapses finally fire right and boom--they do something you don't expect!

Good Job Evey!! You're so smart!

boygirlboy said...

I'm glad you like the link. We are moving to Japan!

Anonymous said...

Way to go smarty pants!!! The baby signing is sooooooooooo awesome, it makes the communication so much easier. Gosh, I can't wait to see her and you too of course.

The Johnson's said...

YEAH!! It's amazing how these kiddos pick stuff up. Of course she's brilliant!!! Way to GO EVEY!!! We miss you and can't wait to see you walking all over Montana!!!! LOVE YOU!! Kat