Feb 29, 2008

Cow's Milk.... is it time?


Evey is now almost 1 in just a few weeks and she's still drinking momma's milk. At about 10.5 months we had to start supplementing with goat's milk since you shouldn't give a baby under 1 dairy.... so we introduced goat's milk and soy milk. My production did slow down when she started getting busy and refused to nurse during her lunch feeding at around 8.5 months. I've continued pumping twice a day at work even though my production was down and started taking fennel greek (herb) which helps your production continue. She still nurses good during morning and evening/bedtime feedings, but she's really starting to wean herself.

As a new mom, nursing your baby is the most magical gift. Both Evey and I have enjoyed it so much and I have to say I'm sad at the thought of weaning my sweet baby girl. In my head I want to nurse her forever, because I want her to stay a baby forever! Iknow it's not possible and I have to do what's best for her. I think I'll probably keep nursing her in the morning and at bedtime until she's not interested anymore... so I'm assuming that will last a few more months. Part of me is excited to have my body back and I can't wait to be back in my cute bra's... but I sure will miss that bond between me and my Evey. I wasn't sure I'd like nursing but wow... I've loved it... through all the leaking, engorgement, biting and soreness...I've loved it!

So next step. Cow's milk. Is our baby ready for it? I had an intolerance to dairy when I was about 5-10 years old, then grew out of it, and Rusty now seems to be sensitive to it, so should we keep her on goat's milk for a year? I know she needs the fat and calcium from cow's milk, but will she get the same from the more milk goat's milk?

Any advice would be welcome!

4 comments:

Fuller said...

MILK! What a big girl Evey! You will be doing gymnastics in no time! I can't believe you are almost one years old!

The weaning was the saddest thing ever for me and I didn't make it as long as you! :-( It's amazing how special that time is with them...

Carrie said...

I love nursing for lots of reasons, the bonding, it's the perfect food for her, it is convenient, not to mention how much money we've saved on formula over the last five months! I can't imagine being a mom any other way.

Here's what I'd do about the milk sitch. To preface what I say below, there's a VERY big difference between sensitivity and allergy.

I wouldn't do the goat's milk unless I knew she was allergic to cow's milk. It's more expensive, it's less readily available (restaurants and convenience stores most likely aren't going to have it), and it has 1/5 the amount of B12 and 1/10 the amount of folic acid of cow's milk. There are some positives to it, but for me, they are outweighed by the convenience and the proven nutrition of cow's milk (unless I knew Alana was allergic).

What I would do is try the cow's milk and then just watch for a few weeks and see if she seems to have difficulty. It sounds like both of you had difficulties with it later in life, not early, so it seems like she'd be just fine. I would also talk to her pediatrician before I just stopped giving her the cow's milk. They might have some ideas about how to help reduce the sensitivity she might have.

I don't know if you are thinking that you might do soy milk exclusively, but if you do, make sure you get one that is Vitamin A & D fortified. Soy milk is just water and soy flour, so the protein content is good, but not getting Vitamin D can cause rickets and that is not good at all. It also is super important for brain development.

p.s. John says, and I quote, "For cryin' out loud, give her the damned cow's milk. Humans have been drinking it since cavemen pulled on cow udders."

He kills me!

Kara Scharrer said...

Hi! I don't know if I ever responded, but thanks so much for commenting on my "Seventh Generation" blog entry. I was excited to hear that you like their diapers too! I found you on Aubrey's blog (also) and have been reading yours since before Evey was born! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I'm with you, I L-O-V-E nursing too. I don't have any advice for you about the goat vs. cow's milk, but I'm interested to read the advice you get. You'll have to let us know what you decide to do.

boygirlboy said...

Oh, the bond nursing provides between mom and baby can not be mimicked. I nursed my first two well after their first year, and number three is still going strong at almost a year old. The older two both nursed morning and night for months after. You're right, it is sad.

My kids have a mild milk sensitivity (both protein and lactose) which is why we limit the amount of cows milk (both organic and all natural)they consume and substitute with a little organic rice milk, organic soy milk or almond milk. I'm trying to remember at what age is it okay for them to drink the alternatives.

I have a great allergen-free cupcake recipe that is delicious!